Monday, January 21, 2008

Intoductory post

Hello! Happy to see you! I, SA Ferrell, have penned a few doodles for your amusement. It's about the star of today's movie-

Okay enough with the Mystery Science Theatre 3000 references.

I re-hauled this old blog of mine that used to be for serious essays and junk and decided to make a generic sketchblog. Why? Everybody else was doing it, I just wanted to be popular!

Actually, I'm just growing more and more fond of the look of sketchblogs as opposed to sketchposts on my LiveJournal.

Anyway, here's some sketches. Some are going to overlap what folks have seen on ElJays- sorry 'bout that.


These are two pages of sketches commissioned the lovely C Eagle. It's been a while since I've done sketch pages like this, hence everything got a bit crowded- I'm used to drawing everything all big and such. That and I tend to draw bigger when I'm figuring out how to draw a character, and balancing C Eagle's characteristic features and my style was hard.

Scans aren't the best, they're stitched together. :b

This one is actually comparatively old- FROM LAST YEAR OH NOES! It started out as a Dakota doodle but then his crest got even more wild than Dakota's crest is supposed to be. I kind of like this style of crest feathers, but it's definitely not for my personal gryphs! I named him the "Road Warrior" gryph because it looks like a mohawk. "Look! Gryphonic porcupines!" (Yes, that's a obscure reference, for those of you who don't normally talk to me, you're going to have to get used to those in my posts and edcuate yourself in the finer points of pop culture references. Especially ones that were featured in Mystery Science Theatre 3000 or relate to my favourite movies.)


Blue canary in the outlet by the light switch
Who watches over you
Make a little birdhouse in your soul
Not to put too fine a point on it
S
ay I'm the only bee in your bonnet
Make a little birdhouse in your soul

I have a secret to tell
From my electrical well
It's a simple message and I'm leaving out the whistles and bells
So the room must listen to me
Filibuster vigilantly

My name is blue canary one note* spelled l-i-t-e


My story's infinite

Like the Longines Symphonette
it doesn't rest


Blue canary in the outlet by the light switch
Who watches over you
Make a little birdhouse in your soul

Even if Lillian didn't kill Jason and all those countless screaming Argonauts, the song fits her so well. OpenCanvas doodleage.


Ew. It's me. Trying to get myself to draw humans more, along with getting my caricactures of myself more accurate. Tonight when I did these I was basically just sitting on the couch holding a mirror in front of me while watching TV. XD I notice that I keep on drawing either my nose, my lips, or both too big. Huh. I like the one with the shaded hair best out of the "direct drawing from the mirror" pictures, and I like the bottom one of me going "D:" out of the cartoony ones. The one on the bottom right just looks kind of duuuuumb.


Tonight when I was drawing the portrait doodles my dad found that the HD forgien and and independent film channel was playing this film that documented the lives of two mated kestrels (European kestrels, nowhere in the movie or the credits does it say where it is filmed, in fact, as far as I know, there is no human speech that is truly audible in the movie) that lived in a church steeple who raised a brood of five chicks. AWWWWW. Unfortunately, even if it's just on TV, birds move around too much to make good drawing subjects (I've tried to life-draw a red-tailed hawk once! HARD!) Honestly these don't look up to par with my usual birdie stuff, or maybe I'm using symbols too much on these, or SOMETHING. But I do like the lone life drawing of my dog, Lacey sleeping with her face smushed on the carpet. It was ADORABLE. Unfortunatly she got up almost right after I got what I have on the page. You can faintly see a second attempt of her sleeping in the opposite direction, but she got up after that, too. "NO DRAWING ME WHILE 'AM SLEEPIN'!"

That's what I got folks! Enjoy, Intertubes space cruisers!

1 comment:

Natalie said...

I am LOVING that Gryph! There's just something about it other than the hair being different... It's charming.

I also love the piece you did to the song... Even if I've never heard it, it fits quite well. ...and she looks extra cute there. ;3

Your sketches = ♥♥♥