Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Heeeeeeeeere, kitty kitty kitty!

Making doodles for this thing is an excellent way to put off drawing my comic. In all honesty, I'm finding it more fun to draw things that may stretch the boundaries of my "style" than just things like my comic where I have a certain formula that makes things all quick-like to draw. After months of drawing it, it's gotten boring. :(

Anyway, I'm going back in time a little bit with the first one:


Proper cat was originally supposed to be a Threadless candidate, but the idea of a LOLCat parody didn't seem to fly. They seemed to want to get rid of the whole LOLCat refrence...which kinda just makes it a vector drawing of a cat with a tophat and monocle and where does that leave us? Confusion, that's what. But I like the design of the cat and the experiment with "offcenter" colours. Rather fun, must do it again.


"I'm like a baby and he's like a cat, when we are happy we both get fat!"
Been talking to my good friend Pan waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too late at night the past coupla nights and decided to make doodles of her spacekitty avatar. I referenced real cats for the most part but then added my own silly little cartoony bits to them.

One line Chuck Jones said about cats always stuck with me: they "sit fat and walk thin." And their limbs have an amazing ability to disappear underneath their bodies while lying down.


Late night conversations on dreams about our characters can lead to silly things. Joke shamelessly stolen from Short Circuit, but that's okay, Lillian plays the "really naive and good natured but sometimes simple robot" part well. (After this I got to wondering: Where does all her intelligence go when I write my comic and things like that? It's just more fun to write her as a little simple.)


I know Lyosha's having a tough time right now, and probably won't see this for a while, but I've been wanting to draw her Tibrus for a while now. He's such a dirty old man dragon, I love him. If somebody didn't do it already I would draw him in a fez, it fits him so well. But here's one of those "Whatchyoo talkin' 'bout, foo?" faces I love so much.


Skin Deep is an awesome fantasy comic that I've recently discovered and soon after the end of the current chapter they're doing a guest week. I just found out today and well, I already doodled this. We have Jim, the wonderfully British maned gryphon, Merial the nixie (mermaid-ish creature, except with more bite- lookit her teeth!) and Michelle, who just found out she was really a sphinx with all sorts of nasty critters after her so she's really confused and rivals the Skywalker family in whining sometimes. THAT'S OUR HERO, FOLKS.

I'll hopefully have this inked and coloured up with readable computer-typed words in time for guest week. :D Again, I'm neglecting my own comic.

That's what I have for now, folks!

No comments: